Slow cookers are convenient for busy people. Fill it up in the morning and come home to a hot, ready, delicious meal.
Advantages to using a Crock Pot
- Longer cooking time adds more flavor and yields higher nutrient content.
- It’s rare to burn or scorch foods in a slow cooker
- Saves on a lot of dish washing several pots and pans to create a meal.
- A crock pot uses a lot less energy that the stove top or oven.
- It reduces our consumption of processed, packaged foods that are void of much nutrition and full of a variety of chemicals.
As an Affiliate I may earn a small fee from qualifying purchases of some of the links you might click and purchase – at no additional cost to you.
This recipe for Crock-Pot Tortilla Chicken Soup is an inexpensive and easy meal. And it is loaded with nutrition. Did you know that food cooked in a slow cooker retains more nutrients than when it’s cooked faster – as on the stove?
Bell peppers are good for you. One medium sized bell (any color) contains, copper, manganese, magnesium, potassium, phosphorous, selenium, folate, Vit B6, and Vit C.
Crock-Pot Tortilla Chicken Soup
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (Mexican style) un-drained
1 cup organic – low sodium chicken broth
2 ½ cups water
1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup black beans
3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
1 or 2 jalapeño peppers
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 teaspoon Slap yo Mama (spice)-optional
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (organic preferred)
1 cup tortilla strips
No.. I did not forget the corn. This is a corn-less version but add it if you want.
1. PRE- Cook and shred the chicken meat
2. In the crock-pot: Combine chicken, tomatoes, broth, water, bell peppers, black beans, onions, garlic, spices and jalapeño peppers. In other words, everything except the Tortilla chips and cheese.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours
1 hours before it’s done add tortilla strips or save to serve on top or as a side.
Top with shredded cheese and serve.